Administrative / Management
Written by Susan Britton Whitcomb, CPRW, NCRW
JAMES P. DELANO
Lakeside, RI 95555 Available for Relocation
QUALIFIED for mid-management administrative assignments requiring proven ability to enhance operational efficiency, affect team productivity, and maximize operating funds.
Twenty-year military career highlighted by promotion through increasingly responsible decision-making capacities, including assistant officer-in-charge, officer-in-charge, and administrator.
Skill-set and accomplishments:
ADMINISTRATION: Directed the production and control of administrative and personnel programs. Managed $256K operating budget. Trained personnel on internal operating systems and
documentation procedures. Supervised staff of up to 45. Prepared written reports and delivered oral presentations. Created and directed task force teams for special projects. Compiled and
analyzed workload statistics. Computer-literate.
- Implemented revised procedures to reduce error processing rate from 75% to 1.2%.
- Negotiated discounts to achieve a 64% savings (valued at $1,685,000) in travel expenses.
- Prepared organization for annual Quality Assurance inspections; reviewer comments included "200% improvement," reversing 3-year history of failure to pass to highest attainable
- Supervisor comments: "Unparalleled performance resulted in the flawless processing of all required reports, travel arrangements, 100+ enlisted evaluations, 300 personal awards, and
1,000 pay entries."
PERSONNEL/HUMAN RESOURCES: Experience includes staffing, training, discipline, records management, travel arrangements, and benefits administration. Directly responsible for staffing
of three aircraft carriers (typically handled by three separate individuals) with a total of 16,500 individuals matched to 64 different position descriptions. Managed personnel support functions
for 2,600-member organization.
- Turned around personnel support operations from last to #1 ranking division among 26.
- Resolved staffing issues that resulted in accurate accounting of personnel assets and reduced delays in filling vacancies.
- Successfully raised manning levels from 63% to 89.9% (above standard) in limited time constraints.
CUSTOMER SERVICE: Selected to revitalize a foundering Reserve Personnel Support Desk.
- Implemented corrective measures that transformed "a mediocre operation into a source of pride" for the division and left 95% fewer service record maintenance errors and a 65%
reduction in customer traffic.
- Created innovative programs, such as a "Customer Command Quality Assurance Checklist" that reduced travel liquidation time-frames from 45 days to 1 working day (standard is 5
PROFESSIONAL PROFILE: Offer well-rounded and versatile background with experience as Administrative Officer, Legal Officer, Personnel Officer, Educational Services Officer, Ship's
Secretary, and Work Center Supervisor.
- In virtually every assignment, exceeded performance criteria and assumed added responsibilities.
- Comments from supervisors: "Unmatched in personal initiative"; "unlimited potential"; "his wisdom and energy inspire trust and confidence"; "the
consummate professional who gets results."
UNITED STATES NAVY
- Administrator (5/94-Present)
- Assistant Officer in Charge/Officer in Charge (6/90-5/94)
- Personnel Officer/Educational Services Officer (10/88-6/90)* Division Officer (5/88-9/88)
- Staffing Manager (9/86-5/88)
- Branch Head (12/85-9/86)
- Director, Administrative Services Division (12/84-11/85)
- Administrative Office Supervisor (12/83-11/84)
- Various Admin Personnel Positions (1979-1983)
Coursework and seminars included: TQL/TQM . . . Management Fundamentals . . . AA/EEO . . . miscellaneous industry-related training.
HONORS (Partial List)
Navy Commendation Medal for meritorious service as Administrative Dept. Leading Chief Petty Officer; three Navy Achievement Medals; Combat Action Ribbon; five Good Conduct Awards; Air Force
Outstanding Unit Award and Air Force Organizational Excellence Award; Humanitarian Service Medal; Management Excellence Award
Various U.S. regions
Susan Britton Whitcomb is author of Resume Magic: Trade Secrets of a Professional Resume Writer (JIST, 1999) and contributor to 10 resume and job-search related books. A
Nationally Certified Resume Writer and Certified Professional Resume Writer, Susan is principal of California-based firm Alpha Omega Services. She brings 15 years' experience to the tasks of
resume development and job search/career transition for professionals, managers, and executives. Contact her at http://www.topresume.com or 559-222-7474.